Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Pyrex god giveth, the Pyrex god taketh away...

I went back to the thrift store where I saw the strange pink gooseberry mixing bowl with the crown stamp and lo and behold, it was still there! So I brought it home, of course. Here it is:


It's a darker pink than the ones I've seen so far, more like a watermelon hue. Now after I saw the JAJ stamp, I thought this was it, but no, there isn't a JAJ stamp, just a crown:

I'm somewhat sure it's Pyrex, but couldn't find that crown stamp anywhere. Regardless, for $4.50, I think it's a find and I'm quite happy with it.

The same day, in fact a day after I was lecturing hubby on how to take care of Pyrex (no sudden extreme temperature changes, etc., yadda, yadda, yadda), I decided to make a roast in my cranberry Pyrex pan. I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table so we could go vote and at mid-point through cooking, I pulled the pan from the oven and ran it under the tap to add a bit of water to the roast to keep it moist. Well, as you can imagine, an explosion ensued that almost gave me a heart attack! As a result, the following pan no longer has a little brother : ^( :

I'm quite aware of the irony. Oh well, better to have learned this lesson with a run of the mill piece than with a vintage one! I would have really cried then!

4 comments:

  1. What a pretty bowl! That looks like the exact same crown mark as is on the JAJ. It's too bad you lost the cranberry dish; Pyrex definitely can't take those kinds of temperature changes, especially with water involved. I've decided to roast in Le Creuset only, so I can make pan gravy without worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pink bowl. Good find and I'm betting it is JAJ! I hate when I break something and Pyrex doesn't like temp changes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the exploding dish. That must have gotten your adrenaline going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sheesh! I shattered my mom's (donated to me) clear 13x9 Pyrex doing that last year. I was bummed as it was my "go to" casserole dish. Fortunately I found a replacement at Kohl's on sale and boy did I learn my lesson! It snapped clean in half with this loud POP! I was so scared!

    ReplyDelete