Thursday, April 21, 2011

Scary Exploding (New) Pyrex

I have personally never had any of my Pyrex dishes, old or new, explode but I did a search online this morning about oven safe Pyrex and found these two links with tons and tons of complaints about new Pyrex exploding. Some of the people, all they did was take it out of their cupboard and it exploded in their hands. Apparently Pyrex is making the new Pyrex out of different materials than the old and that is why it is happening? It's got me scared and happy that I use old Pyrex!! Here are the links if you'd like to check them out yourselves:


--Erin {erinink.etsy.com}

6 comments:

  1. This has happened to me with a clear blue glass Pyrex baking dish wow I thought it was just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important to follow these care and use instructions when baking with Pyrex:
    http://www.pyrexware.com/thetruthaboutpyrex/use.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly why I use my vintage pyrex all the time - I've never had it happen and never heard of it happening with the "old" pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know first hand what that is like:

    http://pyrexcollective.blogspot.com/2010/10/pyrex-god-giveth-pyrex-god-taketh-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had this happen to me yesterday with a 1 quart pyrex measuring up. It had a 1 cup measuring cup in it. I pulled the larger cup out and was lifting the smaller out when the larger one literally exploded. There was no temperature change involved, and the only impact would have been the smaller cup tapping the larger as I lifted it out.

    ReplyDelete