Saturday, November 20, 2010

pyrex pet peeve

after a successful weekend of thrifting... it got me thinking about one of my pyrex pet peeves...














when stores or sellers know how much pyrex is actually worth and price it that high.







take for instance these two bowls. i REALLY needed (yes needed) these two pieces for my collection, so i didn't mind spending a little more, but for crying out loud the larger bowl was $14 and the small one was $8!
and then i go to the store next door and these two pretties ran me $5 each... and i'm not complaining at all!

but then at store #1 the fridgie with the lid ran me $15 and the one without was only $5 at store #2.
why can't everyone price pyrex super low so i can add to my collection?
*sigh* i'll just keep dreaming
p.s. i recently blogged about how much i love blogging here at the pyrex collective. a blog about a blog, weird right? haha

9 comments:

  1. You just have to keep looking is my belief. Someone somewhere will have the piece I want for the price I want to pay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where on earth do you thrift??? you get about 6 pyrex in one thrifting weekend, and I'm lucky if I see ONE pyrex at my thrift stores!!

    i was antiquing this weekend and I was complaining to my boyfriend about the same thing-the antique stores know the value of pyrex. SO frustrating! Even more frustrating when the thrift stores know the value too haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely hear you. I blogged about the exact same frustration recently on Yard Sale Snoop and some anonymous person posted a sanctimonious comment about supply and demand and how I should know better. Grrr. I think we all agree that we're buying beautiful used crockery. Sure it may be collectible and valuable, but it's still previously enjoyed. Stores seem to arbitrarily price Pyrex. It either seems to be priced by someone who could care less about its worth, or someone who knows too much about how many people collect it. We just want a fair deal. Right on, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I need all of those for my turqouise kitchen at super cheap prices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just average it all out and the prices are much more reasonable. i love the amish butterprint too and my mom has picked me up several pieces of it lately - but she doesn't tell me how much it is! i have the best pyrex collection of all. i probably have about 20+ pieces of it now and i have only bought one piece myself and the rest of it my mom finds and brings it to me!
    kimybeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean! Saw two 'square' bowls with covers....each was $30.00 !!! I left them there.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe if we all stopped buying for a while, the prices would decrease?!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not possible, Jim. But this is a good theory. I'm sure some university is conducting a survey as we sleep.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. L-o-v-e the mini tray(s?) you found as well as the Ball glass jar in blue. Wondie blue finds in Pyrex, too, of course!!

    ReplyDelete